Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Kotoura-san
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 14:05   Link #298
Midonin
Last Engage

The Secret of Haruka Kotoura 04 - The Invasion is Back On

This episode was a lot less dramatic than I was expecting it to be. Haruka going away didn't cause the world to revert to its drab state, and even her home life with her grandpa, while a bit uncomfortable, is still giving her a place to be with a loving family member, and the priest from the shrine as another sort of surrogate parent. Not to mention that before, after and during the search to get Haruka back, the show was throwing out jokes and never fully entered dramatic mode. Though I did like the scene with the crab at the beginning.

I do agree with others who have said that fandom can have a bit of tunnel vision at times. Hiyori's made some mistakes, but I don't think she should be vilified to the extent that she has. Redemption and forgiveness are admirable traits, and I think the trio of Haruka, Yuriko and Hiyori will provide much comic fodder for the future. I also find the praise of Yoshihisa to be a little over exaggerated. He's fun to watch, but not flawless. That his plans for getting Haruka out were mixed up in his head shows that he's a bit of an idiot, but he's the idiot this show needs. But then, the problems that people say he's "making up for" never really bothered me in the first place. What I'm getting at is - holism, not tunnel vision.

Still, quite the enjoyable episode. Now that Hiyori's part of the club and the first "arc" is done, the last 2/3rds of the show will define it. A strong beginning and a strong ending are important, but a strong middle is the most important part of all.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote