View Single Post
Old 2010-08-31, 05:52   Link #56
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
After a brief conversation with konart we have concluded that when Tsubasa and Araragi were talking about Russian, Nision made a mistake with translating スパシーボ as great. For the people who can read katakana, you'll know that the word is pronounced as Supashiibo. However, it seems that according to konart, the closest word to Supashiibo in Russian is Spasibo or Спасибо. The word in fact means thank you. Now in the book Tsubasa used 素晴らしい which means great, wonderful. In the end it seems that there is no way these two words can connect. So for the people who knows Russian and is confused, blame Nisio.
Hi guys, I am new

I am self-taught on Japanese, but after having read the original sentence I dare to say you mistranslated it

Hanekawa said that she didn't know Spanish very well, she did know "just about everyday conversation".

To that Araragi replied "spasibo", and Hanekawa retorted that it didn't mean "amazing" like Araragi meant to say.

(Anyway Omimon, thanks for the translation )

Although this may have created a great impression of me, the truth is that I can read Japanese books only after passing them through an OCR program, because I don't know kanji very well, and it takes a lot searching them by radical

By the way, it's not related to Kizu but I found a joke that was lost in translation. In the second chapter of Bakemonogatari vol. 1, Araragi is discussing with Hanekawa about the name Hitagi. Hanekawa said that it was a word related to public works.

"Public works" is written 土木 (soil + tree)

In kanji "Hitagi" would be written 肥田木 (manure + rice field + tree)

Hitagi's name though is written in hiragana as ひたぎ, hence it has no meaning
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote