View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 10:53   Link #65
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
You mean Greg Ayres? He's a voice actor who just attends lots of American conventions where he hosts panels such as this one. If you don't care to waste time, he basically preaches how fansubs are the work of the devil. On the topic of how important the American anime industry is to Japan, he basically claims that North American capital saved the Japanese anime industry back in the late 90's. >_>
@offtopic: Though I have recently given respect due to that heart attack, looks like he'll have to revise his own history of anime in America because without the industry leaders who'd been deep in Betamax'd fansubs in college (see Sean Leonard for his thesis Progress Against the Law), he wouldn't be working today in anime; he would be out there doing voice-overs for Pizza Hut commercials.

@Toua/ontopic: I think the other blog you picked up regarding a similar problem facing the music industry somehow hit the mark: the greater diversification of entertainment options may have contributed to reduced patronization of commercially-distributed music.

Now let's see... I don't know if this might be a viable option for those studios, but they should cut down the production rate a bit because not everyone's be able to consume them all, and instead reconsider the storytelling part because a bad story is a waste of resources: after several bad reviews, only a few are gullible enough to buy a rehashed storyline, even if they try to wave a huge boxset of such a mediocre show with a basement bargain sticker price (and all the T&A "service" he could get) to a geek in downtown Akihabara.

Furthermore, making admission that they admire (and possibly fear) Miyazaki shouldn't be said -- well, they have to be reminded that in Japanese business, there's always war, and in war they have to use their collective heads to fix the problem with their storytelling today.

I want to tell them in their faces: "Show me something unique and entertaining, and I'll show you the money, and what I buy may save your hide."