View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 12:16   Link #67
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsieczkar View Post
By 1995 this market was growing to the point that GAINAX, NAS, and TV Tokyo produced Neon Genesis Evangelion. This brought a new interest in anime mostly to a more adult audience, Evangelion got a massive boost from the incredible amount of free advertising the show got. It set the Japanese TV censors on their collective behinds and as they say all publicity is good publicity. As a result of this, shows of a similar nature were aired later at night, largely creating the late night time blocks.
Do you have the figures to back that up? Not that I disagree you, because I don't recall that many "notable" anime appearing prior to Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Mononoke Hime. Those who followed my earlier link would know that I had claimed that the industry is moving through creative cycles of boom and bust and, right now, they seem to be in stuck the doldrums, made worse by the gloomy global economy.

It'd be nice to have hard numbers to support my assertions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I don't know if this might be a viable option for those studios, but they should cut down the production rate a bit because not everyone's be able to consume them all, and instead reconsider the storytelling part because a bad story is a waste of resources: after several bad reviews, only a few are gullible enough to buy a rehashed storyline, even if they try to wave a huge boxset of such a mediocre show with a basement bargain sticker price (and all the T&A "service" he could get) to a geek in downtown Akihabara... I want to tell them in their faces: "Show me something unique and entertaining, and I'll show you the money, and what I buy may save your hide."
If only it were so easy to write a "good" story. Creative endeavour is not the same as an engineering project where you can use some basic formulae to do some calculations, and hey presto, construct yourself a building.

I'd bet you that many a writer who produced a dud sincerely believed he had a winner in his hands. That's why the rewards of producing a Hollywood blockbuster are so big — it's because the financial risks are so high: You never know whether you have a "great" story until the product hits the market.

That said, I do wish the anime industry would get out of its moe fetish, and move on to other things soon. What the next big "thing" will be, though, is anybody's guess.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote