View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 19:12   Link #76
dahoosafeth

Quote:
The Japanese domestic anime audiences had aged beyond believe due to an aging Japanese population. Not only that, the number of Japanese youth TV audiences can no longer provide a good TV viewing rate due to low birthrate, so the TV stations had long since taken out anime TV series off prime times, because Japanese companies no longer interested in sponsoring anime programs that's not generating enough target audiences, to watch programs that were paid to be on Japanese TV networks with Japanese companies advertising venues. Most anime in Japan are now being broadcast on PPV channels, with the anime industry themselves paying for the time slots. In another word, the cause of a dying Japanese anime industry was not due to a failed business model. But Japan as a nation is failing on a social level due to the social breakdowns(http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...etired/27301/1) caused by the darker side of the Japanese society(http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cf...vent_id=368261). And the 10 years long Japanese economic recession was only an indication of the social breakdown, because normally a recession should only last for 2 years at most.

It was during the 10 years long Japanese economic recession, that's when the 3rd generation of anime otakus/fanatics took over the general direction of anime series from the 1990's to early 2000's, to be more realistic instead of being idealistic, and more comforting instead of inspiring. The story settings had more references based on current events of that time period, and more emphasis was put on characters developments rather than the story plots. This is because during the recession period, a lot of the social issues like elitism and collective mentality(ironically, the Japanese economic boom during the early 50's to late 80's was a direct result of such educational & social structure) weren't addressed during the previous economic boom, had begone to cause social breakdowns within the Japanese society. This discouraged the Japanese youths back then, to a point that made a good number of them antisocial, if not cynical and/or suicidal. So in order to appeal to this generation of Japanese youths, the anime industry was forced to change their orientations.

At the same time, the anime industry was scrambling to reform in order to survive the impending economic recession. The media publishers, toys manufacturers, and the gaming companies were collaborating more and more with each others, while using anime as an medium to advertise their products toward the Japanese youths. OTOH, most of the anime production companies and studios were being bought out by the bigger medias, toys, and games corporations in order to survive. In the end, the anime industry survived the 10 years long recession together with a new breed of anime fanatics, at the cost of their ideals and inspirations. As they entered the early 2000's led by an even more niche but now antisocial 4th generation anime otakus. And the rest, is the reality of now as we know it; a dying industry with a tanked domestic market due to an aging & failing society, not economic recession.

And here's another piece of fact to consider. In the late 90's, legally digitized anime medias were first made available outside of Japan by pioneer VHS-fansubbers turned international anime licensing companies, as R1 anime DVD. However, the rampant fansub release and distribution over the internet killed off the incentive of legally digitized anime medias around mid 2000's, while international anime licensing companies were already sponsoring anime production since early 2000's.

And now, as the world heading towards global recession, no international company is stupid enough to sponsor a dying anime industry with next to nothing market return. And the fear incited elitist attitude & collective mentality of the fansub community, while surprisingly mirroring the aging & failing Japanese society, is dragging down the anime community along with it. Me? I'll just collect only the R1 anime DVD medias that I like, then sit back and watch with the rest of my buddies while poking fun at the fansub community as I please. Because as long as they don't actively fight back the corruption of fansubs themselves, the anime community consisting of the anime industry and their fans, will share the same misplaced fears incited mentality as the fansub community, and they shall share the same fate as the aging & dying Japanese society. And don't even count on the authority to stop the corruption, because as long as the community's collective mentality lacks the courage to face the truth, the authority means nothing. This is also why Japan has such low crime rate despise the social breakdowns, because the collective mentality lacked the courage to report the corruptions.

And with that, I'll make my peace by no longer subjecting myself with the corrupted collective mentality and the perverse incentive of misplaced fears. For I no longer wish to fight a war that's not worth fight for.
what do you guys think of this?
dahoosafeth is offline   Reply With Quote