Thread: Yen Press
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-06, 03:50   Link #13
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
That's good to hear, any company which isn't censor happy is a good company in my books.

Did you really enjoy The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? I heard really bad things about the manga, and that really put me off in looking into it. How's it compare to the anime or the light novels? I put an order in for the light novel already, just waiting for the shipment.
TMoHs isn't THAT great of a title, but it's still pretty good IMO.

~Art: It's not Noizi Ito, but it's good for the manga. It annoyed me that Kyon was in chibi-ish for for all of vpl. 1 and most of 2, but the art takes a DRAMATIC change during the last chapter of Vol. 2 (A Really good change). The other SOS Brigade members (esp. Koizumi) have taken SOME liberties in their design, but you can still tell who's who.

~Story: The same story from Melancholy we all know and love, but there is *some* reorder. Now, the Ryoko Asakura fight, which oeiginally took place on the day which Haruhi said "love is a mental illness," now takes place before Mikuru is introduced (and that in itself is mixed around). Many people complain about this, but I like it because it offers a different telling of the story that I've heard so many times, I could recite it like Shakespeare. This help reduce redundancy, which I like.

So, if I had to give it a rating: 3.5/5. Not a golden jem, but it's not bad, either.