View Single Post
Old 2008-07-17, 11:13   Link #64
raikage
日本語を食べません!

To build pecs? Wide-grip bench press.

A narrower grip (and many people naturally grab the bar too narrow) works the triceps more.

I do bench -- I just don't think it contributes as much to usable strength as squats and deads.

For lower abs? Probably leg lifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
If you can't find a partner to help you (try asking a random guy in the gym; most are very willing to help you out, especially the guys sitting around), then try using either the Smith Press or even a machine press. The Smith Press is very safe, assuming you load the safety locks appropriately (right above your chest, as low as possible without letting the bar touch you), and the machine press is of course very safe as well. The upside to the machine press is that you can very quickly change weight for drop sets. Don't listen to the hype that barbell presses are more effective than machine presses. A recent study (don't ask me to source--I saw it in Muscle and Fitness I believe, not sure) showed that machine and bar don't really give that different of outcomes when it comes to strength.
I disagree.

In order to use free weights, you have to use secondary muscles.

Compare the leg press machine to the squat:

You're working more muscles at once, but more importantly, you're coaching your body to act as a cohesive unit.

It's the same with bench, though it's a bit harder to visualize. A machine -- notably the Smith -- keeps you on a path, so you don't have to rely on shoulder muscles to stabilize the bar. So that means no shoulders, and I think reduced bicep work.

In terms of usable, functional strength machines are highly inferior, as your body comes to rely on an outside force to shape the direction of the movement.

Free weights -- it's all you.

That said, if you're starting out a new exercise machines don't hurt. But get off it as soon as possible.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote