View Single Post
Old 2013-02-20, 10:39   Link #236
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I am seeing a few people in this thread talking about psychopathy diagnoses as arbitrary and with no biological basis behind it, which makes me wonder if they have seen some of the research on the topic over the past few years, which has found specific brain differences between criminals diagnosed with psychopathy and healthy people and criminals not diagnosed with psychopathy. This is the most recent study I'm aware of.

Source, a 2012 study: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8460ZQ20120507
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0507164636.htm
Being a psychopath is allot less cool sounding when you realize that it's essentially caused by parts of your brain being stunted and undeveloped.

Makishima hasn't gone beyond empathy, his brain is just too stupid to comprehend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
In the end, lack of empathy can either be a result of a drastic difference in values and ideals, a difference in brain structure, or both. For now, there's no real way of telling which kind Makishima has, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Seeing that Makishima has an almost complete lack of empathy towards anything or anyone, it's rather goofy ass to think what separates him from other people is philosophy and ideals rather than a neurological lack of empathy. Even the guys who organized the holocaust were fundamentally neurologically normal individuals capable of empathy. They just attacked a group that they had been deliberately indoctrinated to view as non people, that they had been told was a threat to the tribe and values they cared about deeply. Makishima has hardly been indoctrinated to view regular citizens as sheep...and he certainly doesn't emphasize with latent criminals as a group. He's just as happy to see them killed. In fact he was just as happy to carve up Kougami, as fascinating as he found him. Really. The idea that the citizens of the Psycho-pass world are sheeple or something isn't the reason Makishima has no empathy towards them. Makishima just plain isn't capable of any respectable amount of empathy towards other people. He certainly didn't decide to stop feeling empathy towards anyone by reading Dystopian novels.

I think some people are just really hung up on this image of Makishima as this aloof intellectual philosopher genius ubermensch deliberately fighting against the system, and don't quite wanna come to terms with the fact that he's like this because something about him is fundamentally broken, and that he'd not really act any differently no matter what society you put him in.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2013-02-20 at 11:06.