View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 13:13   Link #143
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I think I might be in a dissenting opinion yet again, in that I actually enjoyed this episode and it felt less of a chore than reading the corresponding light novel sidestory.

Heresy, I know. On the other hand I've been replaying Front Mission 5, and thinking to myself that if people here have problems with Kirito, holy shit will they have problems with Walter Feng, who is connected in some way to every single Front Mission game and his personal story also wraps up the dangling plot threads of every Front Mission game, prior to Evolved... sorry, rambling a bit.

Anyhow, this was a decent translation of everything - I'm quite glad that two things were left out; the first was speculated to be definitely cut since it's a spoiler () and the second was... well let's just say that there was a bit more fanservice in the original, and it got toned down, and I'm happy with that. (Sometimes, toning down something isn't bad at all.)

Solid ep, all things considered. While it appears that there is a loud and stringent school of thought decrying the series, I find that so far the team have done their best effort, and so far things are holding up well, compared to the novels.

Also, regards Mary Sues, I'm going to quote Larry Correia on this - and given that the man is a New York Times best selling author, I'd wager his opinion to have more weight than the average forum poster. Apologies on his language.

Quote:
The term comes from fan fiction. This is when the author makes up a thinly-veiled version of themselves to stick into their fanfic. Of course, they will be super awesome in every way, and Captain Kirk/Reynolds/Sheridan/Nemo will fall madly in love with them. They’re amazing. They save the day. They’re wish fulfillment in a fictional form. If it is a boy scoring with Uhura/Kaylee/that chick with the thing on her forehead/ or Mina Harker, then it would be a Marty Stu.

The problem comes in when idiot critics accuse writers of normal fiction of having Mary Sue characters. This is usually done in a manner of smug superiority, as if they’re a brilliant literary big-brains, who’s poop smells like fresh wildflowers, because they’re just so damn intelligent that they caught some foolish author violating a “rule”.

Well, I’ve already stated my opinion on writing rules. If you break a rule, but it works, it doesn’t suck, you can sell it, and entertain your audience, then screw the rule. You can break any rule you want if you can pull it off. This goes double for stupid rules.

My main issue with the wild Sue accusations is that A. They’re often not even true Sues, and B. If it creates an enjoyable character, then who gives a damn?

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-08-19 at 13:15. Reason: Removing Typos.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote