View Single Post
Old 2011-05-11, 03:52   Link #1134
Unknown Soldier
:D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Wow, I didn't think the post I created created that big of a stir.

Truth be told though, I never knew what "slice of live" is defined in literary genre. Now I did some research, I can see that HanaIro is no a "tradition" slice of life story.

However, just like everything else, things evolve. As someone mentioned in prior post, "slice of life" has become more of a tag and became literally a "slice" of life.

I blame this also on culture difference. As I said, base on my East Asian background, shows like HanaIro are consider as "healing" type of shows. These shows, they have relatively little drama, character-centric, normal life, relaxing to watch, up-lifting, little-or-no fantasy element, etc. And the most important part is that the series make you feel good and calm (warm and fussy if you well) after you've watched it. The closest description and genre I can find in English was "slice" of life, and I'm guess that's what most people ends up using to describe these shows.

I mean even now, if you go to an Chinese or Japanese bookshop, Fantasy and Sci-fi are still group as one genre because traditionally they weren't separated like western and History section often includes historic fictions and folklores as well.

It's probably better for me to list some of these so-called "healing" series and see what you guys think, and coincidentally most of these series are describe as slice of life in ANN or Wiki:

Kaleido Star
K-on
Minami-ke
Azumanga Daioh
Genshiken
Strawberry Mashmarrow
Maria-sama go Miteru
Wolf and Spice
Bamboo Blade
Luky Star
Natsume Yuujinchou
Kimi ni Todoke
Shuffle
Aria
Kara no Kyōkai
Clannad

As you can see, some of them actually have tons of fantasy element, while some are clearly comedy in English genre but they are all consider as "healing" type anime because they fits the biggest criteria, hell, some would even put One Piece into this genre. Compares to them, HanaIro is the traditional of these types of anime and that was what I was trying to saying in my earlier post refuting people who feel the pace of the series is hurting this series.
Wait, what?
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote