Thread: Licensed Mouretsu Pirates
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-05, 00:09   Link #1300
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the thing is huge, with the likely multiple towns worth of people inside (perhaps multiple Macross City sized towns depending on just how huge). A lot are in cold sleep, but it is also possible that some are not and living like a giant multiple generation ship. In which case, they are probably bored and spend time modding the ship. They might even be expanding the ship due to an increase in population, and the cylinders looked larger than the original look.
Seeing how far apart many star systems are, they would have a lot of time on their hands to do things like mod the ship for the increasing population since if some of the people were not "in status" and they were plenty of men and women aboard, biological urges would need to be dealt with. Yeah, considering that the closest star to our solar system in 4.3 light years away, I can imagine the trip from Earth to some point in the Alpha Centuri binary star system would take a long time. If they could manage 1/2 light speed, there's still about 8 years there. (Tau Ceti is about 12 light years from Earth so you would need some sort of generation ship for the time it would take). When some future generation gets to going to different stars, it will be somewhat like how slowly ships sailed in the Age of Discovery only instead of 3 months to go 2,000 miles, it would take them 6 months to go 1 AU. I sort of envy those descendants of ours that will have the chance to be the first permanent Martians or whatever. I will very likely need a walker by the time colonization of nearby planets(or planetoids and satellites) gets underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I can't believe people are still arguing the toss over the damn skirts!
Clearly they are all using the ninja technique practised by Agiri from Kill Me Baby which lets your skirt stay in place even when upside down.

Now let's discuss the plot, which is distinctly thickening.

Loved the idea of the generation ship, seem to recall a science fiction story about a generation ship sent off to colonise a distant star, only for the people who sent it to then invent FTL, so that by the time the generation ship arrives, the planet is already colonised.
Yes, but would space ninjas share their secrets with their natural archenemies, the space pirates?

I also love the idea of generation ships. I remember reading an older sci-fi story where the descendants of colonists on a generation ship fell into tribalism and there was this huge jungle and things, and they didn't even know that there were on a hugh spaceship.

If there are people still on that "golden ghost ship", I wonder if Marika and company will even be able to handle it if the people are like Bronze-age nomads and such. Or they could have a completely different point of view like a 21st Century banker talking to a 17th Century sea merchant.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote