View Single Post
Old 2007-03-07, 00:13   Link #26
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Wow, rant on!
The only thing that has me really curious is this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
But getting to the point, rich programing languages are for programmers not users. Making a OS dependent on such skills and aiming it at a product for the masses is just ignorance.
Is Linux now considered a product aimed at the masses? I guess certain distros could be, but it's just never seemed like a very for-the-masses product. It could be the low installed user base, dunno. Anyway, always good to see a good passionate rant.

So, I installed Ubuntu 6.06 today (technically I installed it as a second OS on this machine). I've never used Linux before, I'm curious if I'll find it easy or not. Either way I finished all of the homework from my three classes for this semester two weeks ago, so I'm bored out of my mind anyway. If it wasn't for the fact that one of the classes is a P.E. class, which means I'm in the gym for an hour every day, I would have very little to do in my free time (since I also changed jobs to free up time for school and am no longer working 80 hour weeks).

I'm undecided on exactly how much I'm going to play with it, but I guess I'll start seeing if I can get everything converted over. While I highly doubt all of my tasks will convert to the Linux world (I make Vexx's family look like the solitaire players of the video game world ), I figure if I can manage to get it to manage torrents, watch anime (and output to my TV using the ATI drivers), surf the internet, VPN into work, and use OO.o for actual business applications (meaning less than 10-15% of what Office (specifically Excel) can do, I hardly need it to be able to do everything) - then I consider that pretty successful. If I could actually manage to get some combination of half or more of Far Cry, Dawn of War, Sims 2, Rise of Nations (good luck with that one ), and Neverwinter Nights 2 then I'm in the bonus!