View Single Post
Old 2010-06-07, 05:07   Link #10893
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
In other words, as we figured out long ago, the Author Theory and Kakera Theory are nearly identical while on Rokkenjima. In one, you're writing a story that must be internally consistent to hold the readers' interest, and in the other, you're writing a story that must fit the laws of physics and the game start conditions so that there will be a kakera to match it to.
Maybe a better way to say it is that the two are analogous. Besides what Judoh said, there is one very important difference for me. The author-level should sit above the meta-level. In other words Lambdadelta and Bernkastel themselves are characters for the author...

My version of the Author Theory came about when Lambdadelta was introduced since I was suspicious of magic characters even on the meta level. So it was a way to pierce the meta world too and deny the existence of fantasy even on that level. 8) I wasn't aiming to solve the mystery, I was trying to shoot at Lambdadelta and Bernkastel.

But anyways, I like the Author Theory because as we've seen it is analogous to the events in the story. Things like, "Beatrice made the game to be solvable" or "Knox rules" or "Set up the gameboard" or "Game master has to craft the story." But in addition to the things said and observed in the meta world it also ties in the stuff said and observed outside the meta world; things which the meta world never seemed to touch on. Things like the "Message Bottles." I haven't seen anyone talk about those except in the 1998 world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
I'm not sure where this idea of someone "selecting Kakera" came from other than maybe the moments where people remember "fragments" i.e. memories from other scenarios. I don't think it's ever been implied anywhere that someone chooses which Kakera they will go into. If anything it's implied that what will happen once you enter a different Kakera is entirely guess work, and that it's manipulated by changes in the environment.
I thought that Bernkastel was able to view different kakera when she showed Battler the sea of kakera in Episode 5. I didn't actually see her entering any; in fact... Umineko has always been about 'setting up the gameboard' rather than 'choosing which kakera to go into.'

But I thought that since she was there she could've chosen to go into one at any time, if this idea of kakera holds the same as from Higurashi. But, she was just using them to view Eva's solution of the Epitaph in that one scene though.

I know from Higurashi that Rika was rather helpless in which kakera she found herself in. I remember Ryukishi explaining that rather than time travel it was more of entering into a world where a series of dice had been thrown to decide certain events. But I'd imagine that Bernkastel (if she is the same one) has greater powers in seeing and selecting kakera now. Of course, I think we all suspect this way of thinking is a red herring...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote