View Single Post
Old 2011-07-16, 11:58   Link #482
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Really happy to see you enjoying this Kaioshin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
If the brothers are fine with breaking less important laws, are they then also willing to break more serious ones? It's possible the the whole excursion is a lie and that the Penguin hat is only using it to gain greater power over the brothers.
I would have to say that Kanba would be willing to do whatever it takes to keep his sister alive, even murder I think. Sho on the other hand might be less inclined to do so, going by what we seen in this episode.
Quote:
Humor works differently for different people, and I happen to find most anime humor unfunny. Episode 2 really was the funniest anime for me this year. Albeit I haven't tried watching very many comedies either, but most of them have left me cold anyways.
Well, I thought that Level E is the best comedy for this year, though I understand that comedy is a strange thing with people. I did think the episode was funny as well, just not what I would call the funniest this year is all
Quote:
At some point, they're going to have to spill the beans to Himari, and that episode is going to be fun to watch. Shouma is less useful than Kanba in stalking Ringo, but without him, who knows how far Kanba would have gone?
Fun doesn't begin to cover it

That's a good question I think. Sure, Kanba came out looking more competent (getting the radios, using the penguins, marking them etc.) at the job (though in retrospect, maybe it's better that Sho wasn't that good. After all, they were stalking and spying on a girls school. Says a lot about what sort of character Kanba is if he's this good and ready at spying at girls ) but Sho being the more level headed and cautious of the two helps him not be too hasty.
Quote:
There's certainly a strong sense of purpose imported to just about all the elements in Penguindrum - from the music to the sound design to the writing to the plot and so forth. Given the attention to detail, I don't think there's anything in the show that isn't there for a specific reason.
Absolutely, the music especially. I think what's the most telling is that in this season, you have another show, Mayo Chiki!, which has music composed by Yukari Hashimoto, the same as this show, and while both scores are pretty distinctive and fit each show, the actual placement and usage of the tracks is worlds apart.

I think it's clear that having Ikuhara so deeply involved in the making of the show helped it have a more ''united'' direction in all aspects, so that not one thing is going it's own direction.
Quote:
My favorite was simply the reveal of what Kanba intended to do with the tape. It's classic Ikuhara misdirection: imply something, and then subvert it with something else that works even better. Just a wonderful piece of direction.
Yeah that was a good scene as well.

Bah, who am I kidding? There wasn't a thing I didn't pick as a favorite in the episode!

Well, the start I could've done without
Quote:
Mystery? Fantasy? Comedy? Science Fiction? Anybody have any ideas?
All of the above ?

duckroll I think would have a better idea of the author, but since Ikuhara is so involved in all stages of the production, I think it might be more visual based more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
It seems the big overarching theme of this anime is going to be fate. Basically how each character deals with the cards they're dealt with in life, how they perceive their fortunes, and what they try to do. Do they accept fate? Fight against it? Try to change it?
I think so as well, and I think that the answer will be different for each character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Penguindrum is yet another example to me of just how important the director of an anime is. Good writers are necessary too, but the director is what makes the series shine. Ikuhara is just absolutely brilliant here.
Hm, I agree with you, but I think that it could also work the other way round.

Having a good, solid core story for an anime can make it excellent even with traditional or even orthodox directing style (Beast Player Erin being the prime recent example)

I think what this shows is by having a director take a more active, involved role in all aspects of the anime ends up giving a more focused work. The same result can be done with competent-to-excellent team work, but both are very hard to achieve.