View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 22:41   Link #19
Vmem

Animation Quality: 10
Pretty good, I know it's not the best there is, but I'm fully satisfied

Voice Actors: 8
can't name the specific instances, but there are times where it's a bit flat

Script: 9
Well, coming from an award winning LN series, the script's does what it needed to do to cover the story. other than that, I suppose budget and season episode limit has a lot to do with how some things turned out. like most people, I agree that the Naomi arc could be cut 1ep shorter

Soundtrack: 9
not much to say here. very good, not the best i've heard

Enjoyment: 8
It was one of the shows I got really excited about every week, but it's hard to say that I ENJOYED every moment of the show... Naomi's rage arc was more torture than enjoyment XD

Emotional Involvement: 10 BUT Emtional Satisfaction gets an 8
I find myself VERY emotionally involved, especially with Naomi's rage arc at the end. but truly, I'm not emotionally satisfied. after so much build up of rage and hate against Naomi, I feel like he got off easy with a memory wipe and essentially a life reset. aside from that, Chiyu felt like a much flatter character than she could have been (see the LN)

Average = 8

While the show is thoroughly enjoyable, I find there to a few too many issues to be called perfect. Solace, while I agree with your view of society's biases toward overweight people and influence of the Media, my problem with Haru isn't necessarily that he's an overweight character, but his physical deformity. No, I don't need a male MC to always be tall and strong, but can he at least be chest or shoulder height? it's weird to watch every character have to literally kneel in order to talk to him at eye level.

Also, his ability to build his harem is downright abnormal, especially given his overweight body type and his history of being looked down upon and bullied. No, I absolutely do not endorse or encourage any of these behaviors, but the way things are in AW are just too unrealistic even within the fantasy world. Sure, Kuroyukihime finds him special for her own reasons and falls in love with him because she's a special girl with a unique personality. I can definitely buy that. Chiyu kinda likes him to despite dating Taku because they were all childhood friends and she really doesn't know who she loves more, that's fine too. but what about all the other female characters? It seems almost as if they think he looks cute and attractive in a weird way. because they're all at least friendly to him upon first meeting him. I mean, cmon, at least tease him a little in a friendly way? Sky Raker definitely could've done that lol, and I"m shocked Nico HASN"T done so, all she's ever done is call him a pervert...

Well, between these problems and the Naomi arc, I can't give this show a 9 or a 10, but I honestly don't have it in me to give it anything below an 8 either because at the end of the day, it did keep me at the edge of my seat and left me wanting more (2nd season anyone?).