View Single Post
Old 2006-06-10, 03:09   Link #262
Thalarian

Send a message via AIM to Thalarian Send a message via Yahoo to Thalarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaël
Welcome Chris. Let me just tell you that'd be the biggest mistake you could do. Believe me, learn both at the same time, even if you feel like it's too hard or too slow sometimes, it's worth it. Yeah, trust me.
I studied Japanese at the university so I don't really know about self-learning, but sure thing is that's a language you can't learn phonetically, even though it sounds easy. For the english speaker I guess you are, It wouldn't be like learning Spanish, German, Italian or French.

I'm posting here because you sound motivated. Japanese is sure a great language, funny and rich as hell. I wish you good luck.

Thanks, I am motivated, and like you said, I'm an English speaker. So any learning curves I may believe in, need to be bent in a different direction by those who know what they are talking about. Thus why I'm posting here.

The Genki books like rec'd by Quark sound like a good start also, as I believe they cover the wording, kanji, and vocab all at about one time. Keios' should also come in handy. I don't know alot of people who have self taught. (Don't know a lot of people who even speak Japanese, not really a high subject around here I guess. Quite a shame)

As far as language courses go, even if it might take longer, is self-teaching a lost cause? I'm sure the courses help, but I'm already attending college in S.F. and working full time, so obviously I don't have time to take courses in it. That's why I'm headed towards self teaching.

Especially since I have about an hour and a half window using the public transit to and from school. Probably can spare another two or so hours a day dedicated to it.
Thalarian is offline   Reply With Quote