View Single Post
Old 2008-01-18, 05:27   Link #506
selkirk
***y translator
*Scanlator

I'll try to list out what I remember from the DVD booklet articles...
  1. Magic spells are prepared and set as a "program" in the user's body or in a Magic Activation Complex (魔法の発動体 - Mahou no Hatsudoutai)
    • Devices are a type of Magic Activation Complex. The cards used in A's are likely MACs as well.
  2. To actually form the spell, you need to provide mana (魔力 - Maryoku).
  3. "Raw" Mana is absorbed from the atmosphere into the user's Linker Core, where it is "linked" together and stored.
    • Note on Belkan magic: Belkans can fight without having to use "linked" mana. (Knuckleduster article)
    • An Anti Magilink Field increases the rate at which linked mana breaks apart, making it harder to form a spell since the spell will just fall apart before it's assembled.
  4. Processed "linked" mana can then be used to form a spell.
  5. The spell can then be activated through a chant, or just through concentration.
Can we all at least agree to something like this? Am I missing anything?

EDIT: Actually, all this is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I must be going crazy .

For anyone saying that the attacks don't miss or don't need user input, well, Teana's Phantom Blazer attack:
Quote:
ファントムブレイザー - Phantom Blazer
ティアナの「遠距離狙撃砲」。環状魔法陣の代わりにターゲットリングを使用。遠距離の際にはレーザーサイト を併用することで命中精度を高めている。ティアナの攻撃中最大の威力を設定しているが、発射には時間がかか る。
Teana's "long range sniper cannon attack". Uses a Target Ring instead of a circular magic array. When fired at long range, a laser sight is also used, increasing the accuracy of the spell. Out of all of Teana's skills, Phantom Blazer has the highest power, but it takes time for the attack to activate.
Concerning devices:
Quote:
デバイス - Devices
魔導師たちが魔法の発動体として使用する精密機器。
杖状のものはじめ、さまざまな形状・種別がある。
魔法データの保存や発動補助、打撃武器としての使用等、使用法も個人によって様々に異なる。中でも人工知能 を組み込んだタイプは「インテリジェントデバイス」とよばれ、術者とともに経験やデータの蓄積によって進化 してゆく。なのはが保有する「レイジングハート」もインテリジェントデバイスである。
Intricate tools used by mages as Magic Activation Complexes.
The first devices were staff shaped, but now devices come in many different forms and types.
Devices can also be used in various ways depending on an individual's needs, such as storage or activation assistance of magic data, as offensive weaponry, etc. Among these, devices which have had an artifical intelligence inserted into them are called "Intelligent Devices," which continuously improve themselves by gathering experience and accumulating data together with their user. The device in Nanoha's possession, "Raising Heart", is also an Intelligent Device.
About Barrier Jackets and constant mana drain:
Quote:
レイジングハートエクセリオン&バリアジャケット・アグレッサーモード - Raising Heart Exelion & Barrier Jacket ・ Aggressor Mode
*snip*
バリアジャケット・アグレッサーモードは、軽量で汎用性に優れ、魔力消費を押さえることで、長時間の活動( 主に教導)に適した形態。
Aggressor Mode excels as a light-weight, all-purpose Barrier Jacket mode, and because the Mana expenditure is kept low, it is suitable for long periods of activity (primarily combat instruction).
As for what it's actually made out of? I don't think it has ever been mentioned specifically, or at least I don't recall ever reading anything about this. It's a given that Mana is needed, both a forming cost and a continous mana drain, and it's likely fully made from Mana from the wording of the Jacket Purge article earlier (sorry, misidentified it with the Reactor Parts article earlier on).

About the "Sealed Domain" barrier:
According to the article, it's a Belkan barrier spell, where only the "targets that meet the requirements specified by the user" are left behind.