Thread: Kurogane
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-30, 22:42   Link #61
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I've actually not got a problem with that, it would be boring seeing him go through training to only have his butt whipped when teh time comes, instead we're shown just how good this kid is and the mountain Kurogane has to climb.
That way we can push forward with the training and get to the match slightly quicker.
It's also no surprise that the author is throwing the strongest guy at our hapless lead so soon, that happens alot in sports series, it then becomes a goal for the MC to over come that dude.
But part of me also hopes the author can put a little spin or twist to this cliche, if it happens.
It could very well be he doesn't spar with him at the match.

I think my problem will come from theh next chapter is if this kid actually doesn't get butt whipped by Sayu.
Sure we got Kurogane barely avoiding an attack from her but I doubt she was going all out then.
Here she'll be using her art to see what the kid is worth and I should expect her to be able to land her attack(altho just stopping before actually hitting)
But I think it will probably be him avoiding it all, if that happens it then makes Sayu look rather meh.
I know having a super strong "target" person is very common in sports manga. But in just 9 chapters we already have a ghost mentor, a very strong rival/friend, a good captain, and a national champion. Isn't that a bit too many in so few chapters?

In Slam Dunk, the first practice game with another school began midway through vol 3, almost 25 chapters in. I don't expect every sports manga to go into such length of Slam Dunk, but it is absolutely untrue that basic training is boring. And there are many ways to make the manga interesting without introducing a new character every 2 chapters. Right now Kurogane is sacrificing the overall flow of the story for making cool things happen every chapter.