Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-14, 21:00   Link #3335
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
But you said that 'I don't think anyone could call----', which means you hold a certain thinking that everyone should have the same opinion as you.

Yes I agree that there are certain things here that when you like it, it just means that you have a shit taste regardless of what they think about it.. but people are entitled to have different opinions in any matters. By which I mean that there's certainly a group of people that thinks the ending is good in their opinion, just like cedec0 here.. I think?

I'm just pointing that out because I disagree with your view.

Certainly most people would find the ending in a bad taste, but I know some people that find it acceptable. Are you denying their existence?

tl;dr I'm just nitpicking your post
To be fair, maybe I worded it too strongly, but you're misrepresenting my position here. While I'm convinced that the writing is indeed faulty, that doesn't mean I disliked the whole thing. Even many readers have to admit the writing really does suffer in this series mostly due to pacing issues and, arguably, insufficient characterization for some. I'm well aware that these are flaws are due to issues of length and time, but that's just how it is.

Even despite all that, I enjoy this series for its delightful cast of characters, each with their own dilemmas and motivations for playing mahjong. The crazy interactions between lesbian mahjong powers are another definite plus. And for me, it's these factors that still made the ending very much enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
...but powers have to come from somewhere, right? It's not like the moment Saki was born she knew that she had auto-rinshan Kaihou or the very first mahjong game Kuro played all the dora suddenly gathered in her hand, or when Toki first picked up a mahjong tile she saw into the future or did whatever her three army ability was? I mean, logically speaking, these abilities would have to appear at some point after they already started playing?

*Thinking about it, I think FutaQ even mentions that often third years will just suddenly randomly develop abilities in the tournament, or something along those lines.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to how their characters were introduced into the story. Any changes beyond that point would have to be gradual or justified by plot to be seen as believable.