View Single Post
Old 2014-06-05, 19:56   Link #113
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Series that cover MMORPGs are becoming greater in number, but before Sword Art Online there was only really .hack//Sign. .hack (the stand-alone anime series, not the video games) did a terrible job of conveying anything about MMORPGs, and after the first episode, video games. I felt that Sword Art Online beautifully conveyed a MMORPG world, from guilds and parties to dungeons and equipment changes. I also appreciated that life bars and in-game menus were fairly common, which was also a nice reminder that everything was within the game (again, big contrast to .hack). Now we have Log Horizon (and to a lesser extend, Accel World), which may make what Sword Art Online accomplished seem less unique. But SAO captured modern-day MMORPG elements and strategies very nicely.

Recently re-watched the series with my wife (my second watch, her first). She was more enthusiastic about it than any other anime series that we've watched together. We're both eagerly awaiting season 2.
Heh, but keep in mind this only refers to anime. In other media we've had depictions of virtual reality worlds since the '80s.
And specifically in regard to MMORPGs the koreans have been making manwha regarding them for more than a decade as well.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Last edited by kache; 2014-06-06 at 14:11.
kache is offline   Reply With Quote