View Single Post
Old 2007-05-09, 15:55   Link #46
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Loner, I really like that character, Shizuko, great description. When I read the way she converted energy into usable magical power I cringed. This girl is really messed up. Shizuko has a lot of potential, but in the end I don't think a little "befriending" would help too much.

I made some small changes to my character's description and added "Arcane Magic."

The simplest way to explain Arcane Magic would be to use Final Fantasy XII/X-2's Arcane Magic(k) as an example. For one to use Arcane Magic, sacrifice has to made, such as dealing triple damage but losing a bit of HP yourself. This sacrifice is known as "feedback."

Arcane Magic is really about manipulating the soul, closely related with the linker core. It's a very dangerous type of power that should not be used frequently and each use should be carefully planned out for maximum effectiveness and minimum feedback. Every Arcane ability has the possibility of affecting the caster.

Here are some examples:

Soul Siphon
The most commonly used ability by Amemiya is one embedded in Sirocco itself. There are two types of siphoning, active and passive.
Passive: collects only the excess, free-flowing magic power and soul power in the environment
Active: forcibly leeches power from living beings and converts it to magic power. Has the potential to drain even the caster's power.

Heat
Removes some mental inhibitions of the target. Target may cave in to irrational behaviour (similar to Final Fantasy's Berserk). May have similar effects on the caster.

Mind Cloud
Softens situational awareness, allowing for greater deception and less attention to detail in a high-pressure situation (Similar to Confuse)

Grim Reaper
Target experiences near-death, being pushed on the brink of insanity. Only effective on those afraid of dying.

Sweet Sorrow
Similar to Grim Reaper, the target is assaulted by his own fears and failures. Caster must have knowledge of what the target is truly afraid of for maximum effectiveness.

Soul Sacrifice
Boosts magic output (for a single attack or for a period of time) while weakening caster's defense against Arcane Magic. Very dangerous spell if used frequently.

Salt Wounds
Boosts strength (for a single attack or for a period of time) while weakening caster's physical defense. Very dangerous spell if used frequently.

You'll notice that a lot of these abilities are mindgames.
If I can get through the Prologue of my fic, I think I'll be in good shape. I'll try not to make an original character the most prominent character featured.