View Single Post
Old 2008-06-14, 11:57   Link #96
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I don't know the context of the shafting, but this is the world government (world governments are jerks) that made war on everyone that didn't go along with them so who knows? As for evidence, bequeathing legendary status on the original Macross is more than enough if ask me. Take the small good with the monumentally bad, but they obviously don't since Idols and Pilots are in constant fashion.
Actually as I recall, the way Macross Zero tells it is that the Anti-UN broke away first and fired the first shots, not the UN government.

As for legendary status, I would like to refer you to the United States Marine Corps and the legendary status the Corps has conferred on the Battle of Iwo Jima. Heavy casualties taken, and yet the Corps considers Iwo to be it's Crowning Moment of Awesome. Just because people uphold something as legendary doesn't mean that they spit on the graves of everyone else, Wesley.

And pilots and idols will never go out of style. Both have been around and will continue to be around for a long, long time.

Quote:
I'm not really faulting them for wanting to get back to Earth here. In fact, I'd say Macross is making the most out of a bad situation and acting accordingly given what they know. At the moment survival is key, and any long term strategies or possibly diplomacy will have to wait since they still don't know anything about their enemy and they are apparently not responding to hails.

Though I still don't see how using the Fold System like they did makes sense.
As has been mentioned, the Fold System was used because it was the only option left.

Quote:
Sorta. I'm just kind of ignorant and waiting for developements. At the moment, the Original Series is shaping up to be well done, with the use of the Fold System and Misa being a dink on Mars being the only things that have raised a few eyebrows with me (I've made peace with Minmei at the moment. There's a few explanations for the way she is and how she treats Hikaru without her being a terrible, crazy person. Namely that she's "proper" and has alot of faith.)
*sighs*

Again, the Fold System was used because Gloval ran out of options. Primary propulsion was off floating away merrily on itself, secondaries wouldn't have been able to move the SDF-1 away fast enough, and so the only option he had was the Fold System - and nobody expected it to drag along Macross City, the island, Promethus or Daedalus with it.

I agree that both ships should have been able to theoretically survive the fold and the vacuum, had they rigged for submarine ops, but given the way things were going... IMO it's doubtful that the crews actually locked down all the hatches in time and got ready to go underwater. In fact in Promethus's case she'd actually be better off above water if she had to run, since her shape is less suited for charging through water compared with Daedalus - plus she can't launch fighters underwater. She may have remained on the surface, her captain having the idea of getting his Air Wing airborne, and simply be a victim of bad luck.

Also, just checking, where was it stated again that the crews of Promethus and Daedalus bought it?

As for Misa being a "dink on Mars", as you put it, well, I guess you haven't been in her position then. Love makes people stupid. All that emotions that Misa stored up and locked away spilled out and resulted in her obsessive need to find Karl on Mars.

And thank you for being honest enough to admit to being ignorant.

BTW, if you want to head over the Nanoha and troll "lolz it's only Magic!", feel free to do so. Kha will embrace you whole-heartedly and recruit you into his Holy Imperium crusade to rid Outer Cadia of realism and tactical thinking for khrack.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote