View Single Post
Old 2010-01-21, 02:30   Link #1048
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Wait, wait, wait... when was she treated like dirt? Sure, there's the whole furniture deal, but she's never been treated like dirt. Honestly mate, show me one scene, just one scene which may hint she's been miserable. Seriously, almost every single time I've made an argument, I've pointed out scenes. Now, I'll ask the same of you. All I ask is one scene, and I swear I'll give you this argument.
Natsuhi treats her like trash. Remember early on in Ep2? Natsuhi has a tendency to take out her frustrations on slow and clumsy servants. Kanon suggests that this happens all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
Honestly, I've got no idea. (Sure "Used Can, you fag, you don't even have a theory, yet you come here and tell us our theories are wrong." I'm sorry. ) All I know is, given the amount of info we've got, we cannot conclude Beatrice is Shannon or Jessica, but au contraire, we've got information that simply conflicts with those possibilities. Jessica was basically flat out denied in EP6, and Shannon is basically chosen by process of elimination, yet the info we get about her simply doesn't match what we've got about Beatrice.
Well, think about it like this: If the only person Beatrice CAN be is Shannon, then instead of pointing out contradictory facts, we should examine WHY these facts seem contradictory.

We do know that the third-person narration is in the habit of lying to us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Akagi View Post
Even after what I've heard of Ep6 spoilers, Shkanon still looks totally silly and anticlimatic, partly for the reasons Renall has pointed out, but mostly because after the huge build-up that the question arks were, I'd expect something more ingenious from R07 as the reveal.

We are still hoping for a mystery masterpiece here, for chrissakes, and Shkanon just doesn't cut it as masterpiece material.
Don't expect a masterpiece. Expect Ryukishi to let you down. That's the only advice I can give. This way, if he actually manages to pull something good, you can be pleasantly surprised. Or, when he doesn't, you can join me in saying that you knew it all along.

Umineko has been declining in quality the more complicated and silly the story (especially the meta-story... A Witches' Senate that employs Witch Hunters? The entire story is being written by a heretofore unknown character who looks too much like Hanyuu? Mass marriages? Really?) gets.

I long for the days of Ep1-3 when the gameboard had more focus and it actually felt like a mystery at times rather than just a deconstruction of one...