View Single Post
Old 2007-07-05, 05:13   Link #25
Access

I think what people miss is there are several types of 'new' groups. Sure there are pleanty of new posts in 'help wanted' every day of a guy wanting to lead a group, with no experience, and seeking every possible position. But sucessful new groups don't start out this way.

Sometimes they are spin-offs of existing groups. A well-known example would be the Anime-Keep(?) split. Conclave(?) was it?

Sometimes it's a bunch of people, a full team, who decides they want to sub some anime that isn't being subbed, or that is being subbed but appears stalled or is indeterminate status. A contemporary example would be kedex-subbing and Kamichama Karin.

Sometimes they already have a translator, or it's a full team of people connected in some way.

Sometimes it's a bunch of experienced people from a smattering of different groups; who want to work on a specific project but whose own-group's can't do a joint project.

I've seen newbies run into too many problems in the more 'established' groups they've joined; for instance 'seniority complex' where older members who don't actually do any work expect to be able to order and boss around the newbies who do the work; conflicts in schedules or release philosopies; people who just don't get along and can't keep things from becoming personal, 'problem' people in general; people 'forcing' others to work on projects they don't want to work on, or people being on projects they don't really want to be on; etc. This is the basis of my earlier comment. Frankly it's not too hard to start a new group, and there are pleanty of resources and guides already out there for people who have no idea what to do or where to start.

In many cases, starting a new group is the least risky way to go. You can surround yourself with no-nonsense people who get along and all want to be there, want to work on the same project; everyone is on the same level and no one is more 'senior' than anyone else; everyone is active; structures, processes, and rules that help rather than hurt the group as a whole; etc.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote