Thread: Licensed Azumanga Daioh
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-16, 15:10   Link #49
Ruisu
勇気ある者

Send a message via AIM to Ruisu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I'm guessing they decided that they decided the racuous, informal stereotype of Osaka was similar to a stereotype of New York. Unfortunately, they hit off the mark, because you would expect someone from New York to be more like arrogant and violent. Also, New York street slang (which someone like Osaka wouldn't even use in the first place) is not comparable to the Kansai dialect. It's more like Japanese mafia-related slang.

I prefer the fan-translation, which had Osaka speaking with a simple Southern accent. Although it's a bit outdated, the northeastern U.S. is viewed as more formal and secular, whereas the southeastern U.S. is more informal and friendly. (This stereotype is exploited horribly during election year... my God -_- I think eventually ADV just gave up on the dialect.
Heh, better late than never. I think that they gave Osaka a New York accent is because (after speaking with a bunch of translators I know), the Japanese look at the Kansai dialect in the same manner english-speakers view the "New York accent". I guess someone listened to all the complaints about why you should not give Kansai-ben speakers the southern accent (I can still hear the infernal Kitsune dub T_T)...

Either way, they're just stereotypes. Kinda like the whole thing with how the Yakuza tend to really roll the r's (and change stuff like "nai" into "nee"...).