View Single Post
Old 2012-09-17, 08:14   Link #38
LeoXiao
思想工作

China is undergoing high-level political problems because of the upcoming 18th Party Congress. I'm pretty sure they want to get the nationalistic sentiments of their people riled up (at the cost of good relations with neighboring countries) so that their attention is focused outward.

The whole thing is entirely pointless when you realize that nobody actually lives on the islands. They should just bomb it into the water and pretend it never existed. EDIT: But apparently the whole things is 7km^2 so I'm not sure what the feasibility of that is.

EDIT': Speaking as someone who interacts mostly with mainlanders, mainland Chinese are generally in my opinion and experience a lot less pleasant to deal with than those who live overseas. Actually the main, and IMO very important distinction is fundamentally political and not cultural, but nobody seems to care enough to realize. It ought to be "Communist" vs. "non-Communist" Chinese. And don't get started about how China isn't really Communist anymore, the point is that they live under an abnormal political culture commonly seen in states that call or used to call themselves Communist.

Last edited by LeoXiao; 2012-09-17 at 08:30.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote