View Single Post
Old 2011-04-08, 02:17   Link #3266
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Considering how the end of the series was announced before this whole plagiarism lawsuit came up... I'm just gonna assume it was cancelled because of poor sales. Because while the series received consistently great ratings, (but then again, it aired back-to-back with one of the most popular anime ever, so of course it got good ratings) the merchandise and home-video releases were rather unsuccessful. The plagiarism-issue might have been the final nail in the coffin, (as in, I seriously doubt we'll ever see the Buu-arc "Kai-ified" after this whole thing) but even if this didn't happen, the show would have ended here anyway.
Yeah, good point about the DVD/Bluray sales. The thing was that only a few years ago, they were releasing remastered DVDs of Dragonball anyway. Especially with the prices in Japan regarding DVDs, even the hardest of the hardcore fans wouldn't be swayed (especially when the remastered Dragonball DVDs had it all. Fillers and all). Meanwhile, it seemed to actually do decently at American/European retailers though. But as always, they never take that into account in making something.

As for Toriko, Good on that show I guess. Though I wish they didn't use that weird One Piece tiein and instead just did it entirely from the manga perspective. I'm not really bitter about Kai considering the controversy. They did seem to have many reasons not to continue considering all that.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote