View Single Post
Old 2007-08-19, 13:55   Link #79
Jimmy C

My assessment of the situation:
They can't risk getting bogged down at any stage if they try to take the objectives in turn. Ark assumes the defense of the capital will be brief, maybe yes, maybe no. What if the objective of the threat on the capital is merely to draw away forces from the Cradle long enough for it to reach its firing position? Strategically, I'd be willing to leave the capital to its fate. Hope I can neutralise Scaglietti and the Cradle then return to the Capital before it's too late. But I don't think anyone in RF6 is willing to leave the Capital nearly helpless. So someone has to go, that's why they sent the ones that would make the least difference in additional combat capability there, plus one senior combatant.
Scaglietti and the Cradle has to be dealt with at the same time. They don't what contingency plan he has for the Cradle if he dies prematurely. They also don't know what backup plan he has in case they neutralize the Cradle in time. This way, they have teams in place in both locations should any such plans get executed.
In conclusion, it's a bad situation, it can't be changed, so do your best with what you got. Perhaps Hayate should have had a larger force to begin with, but since episode 4, it looks like RF6's squads are the largest she could hope to get.
PS. Ark's analogy with an artillery battalion is inaccurate. That's a force with units with uniform cambat power. RF6 is a mixed force with units with varying capabilities and weaknesses. Try a small force of tanks, infantry and fighter planes instead. Facing HUGE armies of tanks, soldiers and planes coming from 3 different directions.
And look at it from a dramatic point of view. The more dire the situation, the greater the victory! Nothing makes the viewers cheer like snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!