View Single Post
Old 2013-10-19, 09:33   Link #180
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wonder if there comes a point when a particular scene becomes so popularized and well-known within a fandom that it's not really a spoiler anymore. Or, rather, the spoiler is so well-known that somebody would have to be insanely lucky to not come across it before watching the show that the spoiler comes from.

I'm sure we're all familiar with the classic example of this... "Luke, I am your father!"

Does anime have examples like this?

I ask, because it seems to me that the events of Madoka Magica Episode 3 (and a certain scene in particular in it) has now hit that level of "Every anime fan and their mother knows it".

I also ask because I sometimes see people openly (outside of spoiler spaces) bring up a certain Madoka Magica character in pretty telling comparisons relating to that "every anime fan and their mother knows it" scene.
In my opinion, a level where "every anime fan and their mother knows it" is an illusion. There will always be someone who doesn't know the event referenced. By coincidence, your anime example is proof of my claim. I haven't seen episode 3 of Modoka. I haven't heard what happened then. Or if I have, I don't know that I have. For me, nearly every reference to Modoka is a spoiler since I've only seen 2 episodes so far. On the other hand, I also realize that Modoka and some other highly popular shows (Haruhi, for example) have become part of the collective consciousness of this forum. So while I would prefer not to be spoiled about older shows I haven't seen, I'm not angered when I am, just saddened. I try to remain practical about such things.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote