Thread: Licensed Boku no Hero Academia
View Single Post
Old 2016-12-23, 16:26   Link #2485
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yeah, like others said already, it's not too surprising that Bakugou won, considering he was already gifted in the first place. If we bring the Naruto comparisons back into this, he's essentially a Sasuke or Neji (raw talent) compared to Deku's Rock Lee (hard work + effort). And thankfully, unlike Lee, Deku doesn't get flat-out ignored in favor of the "cooler" characters!
I would compare Deku with Naruto(Effort + Latent super powers), with One For All being the stand in for the ninetails. Its a massive OP power that was given to the character which the character has little to no control over, but over time he gets stronger by working hard and tapping more and more into that power. Heck we even have some hints that One For All might even have some level of sentience to it. Heck Deku himself started this series as the social outcast who was considered a failure as far as would-be heroes are concerned.

Quote:
And speaking of characters with less focus... while I guess I can understand why people dislike Mineta, I still think folks are too hard on him. It's true that he hasn't gotten much development so far, but that's largely because the plot's been focusing on the more "important" characters lately (Deku, AM, Bakugou, Todoroki, etc.). I mean, it's not just him, guys like Kaminari and Jirou haven't had much time to shine yet, either. I just feel we need to be a bit more patient to get the character payoff we so desperately crave....
I imagine that his original place in the rankings might have been because readers found his pervy and cowardly actions funny, but his drop could be because those were his only jokes and it's gotten a bit stale. And aside for his comic relief he doesn't have much else going for him... Not sure how well more focus would actually work for him. Personally even when he did step up against Midnight i didn't really find him that much more appealing. He really hasn't been doing all that well on making himself cooler; he needs to either step up his fighting spirit or find new jokes to improve his comic relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevelSeven View Post
if we talk about serious fights than deku clearly had more of them,
it is only that deku had at most 1.5 years as training while bakugou had his whole life,
actually the fact that deku is even able to be top 5 of his class is a immense fast growth, and we arent talking about a normal class,
each one in UA has the chance to be a "better than average to top tier" hero
I'm not sure Bakugou has had his whole life to get ahead. Afterall while he might have been born with his quirk he hasn't really had much chance to use it. Kids can't just use their quirks whenever they want, especially destructive quirks. Not much time to really train your powers for super hero work. I think Bakugou is more a case of having raw talent for combat and strong instincts on top of his quirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
While Mineta dropping to a lower rank is funny, I'm surprised that Jirou made it into the top ten.
Ya Jirou's jump is a bit of a surprise. I mean Kirishima has been a bit of a stand out character so it make sense that he would jump in the rankings, but Jirou hasn't really done much or gotten much focus; wouldn't expect her popularity to spike like that. But hey, i always liked the rocker chick so i ain't complaining

Ochako will have to becareful. She's supposed to be our most prominent lady but she took a big hit this time and is getting close to being knocked out of the top ten. I guess its because she hasn't done that much lately. Afterall i think the previous poll came out after the sports festival, which is where she put up an amazing fight against Bakugou. Even though she's gotten stronger since then with her combat training she hasn't had a chance to really show it off