Thread: Licensed Death Note Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-09-25, 08:28   Link #51
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka
Yeah,i totally agree with you.Takeshi Obata is easily one of the best Manga artists' ever to grace the scene.(*I mean it*)
Another one of my favourite factors about this manga is the fact that the 2 main protagonists are very unique,not your typical shonen-genre leads.The sense of realism gained from the authors unique portrail of his charcaters allows the story to be told from a unique perspective.
I personally like Raito alot,(*Or rather,how the author potrays Raito*)due to the fact that he is just a guy like us who happens to find a death note on the ground.The conflict which rose within himself after he killed his first two victims lead to a reasoning which helped Raito himself to believe that what he did was right which eventualluy led to a goal which resulted from that very reasoning in the first place(*Goal=Become the god of the new world he would create*),a conflict that we can all relate to.(*In the sense that we have experienced this sort of argument within ourselves in one form or another before*)
The best thing about [DeathNote],in my opinion,is that we can relate to the charcaters in one way or another.
The character of Raito from the beginning has seemed to lack depth. No close friends to speak of, no girlfriend, even the relationship he has with his parents and sister seemed somewhat distant and cold. Like everyone around him is little more than an acquaintance. The only thing he seemed to be emotional about was the rationalized goal he had for using the deathnote, to make the world a utopia with him being the one in control. But over time the desire to protect his ego, keep that power at any cost, and willingness to use the power against any threat seems to become his main goal and that turns him into just the kind of murdering criminal he sought to eliminate at the beginning. If Raito came to understand this, the realization would be along the lines of "We have met the enemy and he is us". If he grasps this before 'L' could prove that Raito was responsible for all the deaths's, he could forfeit the deathnote as an easy way out which would wipe his memory of the power he'd once had and how he had used it. But would he settle for quitting while he was ahead and accept a stalemate with 'L', or would he try to temporarily establish his innocence with the plan being to regain the power later to push his luck for a win?
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote