Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-16, 02:31   Link #598
TheKage

It is nothing about efficiency of his former professional job in the scene. Killua crushed his heart. For Killua's own reasons. There needs not be any type of efficiency when it's not a job. Why would he care if he needed to be stealthy or not? It's not a job where he had to be.

Whether it is a nervous smile or a smile, I think the smile conveys a little bit of the idea that Kurapika isn't quite sure of his alliance or "friendship" with Killua. Considering at the moment he has to work with Killua, why express any real distaste or displeasure by outright frowning while with the nervous smile it can always be considered a "joke"? It doesn't matter either way, the smile from the 1999 and the stoic expression from the 2011 version and manga just conveyed a different thought process. The stoicism kept his thoughts neutral while the nervous smile was keeping it on "friendly terms". I think it's easier to hate and show their complete and utter displeasure of Tompa than it is with Killua who've they have had better relations with up until this point where some of them truly start to see that Killua is much more dangerous than they thought.

I don't think the scene is bad at conveying this change in how people start to view Killua. I think this is really a case of preference. Opinions on the difference of the impacts may deal with if people prefer subtleties versus bluntness. I prefer the blunt "oh shit" approach of the manga but I know a lot of people like the creepier 2011 version. I find them both equally cruel. I polled a few of my friends who had never heard of HxH before I ever started talking about it and it was 50/50 on which was more unsettling or creepy.
TheKage is offline   Reply With Quote