View Single Post
Old 2009-10-24, 09:21   Link #879
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Nice review, it touch some interesting points.

A few comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
1) First and foremost, I really liked Kyon in this story. This was Kyon at his best, in my opinion. Making clever, witty observations over actually absurd actions, situations, and statements, but also going above and beyond for his friends and those who call upon him for help.

He handled the situation sprung on him by Nakagawa quite nicely. Nakagawa's actions, requests, and statements were bizarre, and it would be hard to fault Kyon for simply hanging up on the guy and forgetting all about it. But... Kyon really was a nice guy here, and did all that could be reasonably expected of him.

Furthermore, Kyon's deductions made near the end of the story as it pertains to Nakagawa's "accident" showed real competency and intelligence on Kyon's part as well. Good to see that. So, hats off to Kyon in general.
This story is one of my main points for my "why Kyon does pay (a lot) attention on Nagato" point.

Quote:
2) Tanigawa is clearly a big sports enthusiast. This is another Haruhi story that, to a great degree, surrounds an athletic competition. As a big hockey fan, I can only hope that Tanigawa also likes hockey....
I am sorry for saying that, but unlike Basaball and American Football, I never sen any hockey reference in anime. Also, it is specially hard to play it in a High School isn't it?

Quote:
Secondly, Haruhi seemed inconsistent here at times. Her actions are rather odd for somebody who considers love to be some sort of disease... Really don't know why Tanigawa decided to have Haruhi utter that "love is a disease" line. It doesn't fit her characterization at all, imo.
Well, this isn't actually explained, but the 9th Novel touch that point again, kinda.

Anyway, didn't her actually explained it?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumiya Hruhi
"Kyon, though I personally think love is a kind of disease, I'm not the sort to get in the way of people's pursuit of romance just for the fun of it. After all, everyone's view of happiness is their own,"

"Though I may think a person is extremely unlucky, as long as that person thinks she is happy, then she must be happy,"
Quote:
One final note - I think that this story probably should get two episodes if it's ever adapted into anime. You could squeeze it all into one episode, but it would come at the expense of a lot of good Kyon narration, I think. Better to spread it out over two episodes, I think.
The main problem would be where to break the episode don't you think? I mean all Haruhi shrot storys were just one episode so far. The exeption, Lone Island, had a very good point to break. And Kyon narration is always the first thing to be drope, I don't remember this time it being more important then usuall.