View Single Post
Old 2009-11-19, 02:59   Link #66
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
One of several reasons I never got into that show.

I wonder though, how tight a control the time travelers need over events in order to make them come out 'just as planned'. Evidence to date suggests theyonly need to more or less drop the hapless agent (Kyon) into the right time period and let nature take its course, but all of those instances were single, relatively simple events that either happened or didn't.
You make it sound like Time travellers are actually running the show, when they are the ones being run. Trust me, they don't PLAN anything. "Planning" assumes that you have the ability to make decisions. There is just "things that happened" and "things that didn't happen". They are more trapped and enslaved than Kyon is. At least Kyon makes the correct actions without knowing that it was what he needed to do. Time Travelers are unable to control their own actions.
(On that note, that is one explanation on why Yuki locked herself away from knowing the future; it is more of a burden than a help to have every decision pre-determined.)