View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 16:27   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It has nothing to do with being "in the mood" -- it just doesn't distract me all that much. I don't "appreciate the action for the action" and "appreciate the fanservice for the fanservice" separately -- it's all mixed together. That's why I called the opposite "compartmentalizing". To be honest, though, I guess maybe I don't find it as distracting as you do in the first place.

Maybe I also watch action scenes differently. I tend to focus more on the holistic composition of the scenes, not just on the "the attacks thrown, where they hit, and how the combatants respond to the attacks". I don't generally treat it like watching athletes playing sports (which, honestly, I don't do that much anyway). So maybe that's why I don't find it so distracting. If you're trying to focus on the technical execution of the action, then I suppose that fanservice might get in your way. I've tended to like my favourite "action scenes" more for the way everything came together overall (narrative, cinematography, colours, lights, composition, music, sound, etc.); they may be horrible from a technical "combat" perspective for all I know.
Ok, I think I get what you're saying now.

Being a pro sports fan, and a pro wrestling fan at one time, probably does influence me a bit here. So technical execution of the action is important to me.

I guess for somebody that isn't that focused on the technical aspect of the action, pairing it with some fanservice isn't as distracting, at least not in a bad way.