View Single Post
Old 2009-07-28, 01:00   Link #1748
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't think it is possible to make a sense out of magic events...
Not to call you out per se, this just made me feel like ranting about magic. FWIW, Ryukishi is staying pretty true to occult sources and symbology.

Actually, this is kind of fun, from a translation of the portion regarding the summoning of the 72 demons:

Spoiler for Ronove.:

If you're into MegaTen or Persona games I'm sure you'll recognize names like Forneus, Berith, Ose, etc. Hyuga-chan I'm looking at you.

Kind of an aside, but I've been meaning to tl;dr about 'white' vs 'black' magic, as I understand it in my relatively limited knowledge of the occult, and the definition Ryukishi seems to be going off of. First off try to forget any Disney BS for right now, there is no inherently good or evil magic. White magic can kill, and black magic can save. The distinction is that one goes against the grain, the other goes with it, if that makes any sense. One is based more internally, in 'love' or divinity, and works in conjunction with the natural order. The other is rooted in 'power' for the lack of a better word, and has more to do with bending the natural order at/to the will of the caster. Might make more sense with an episode 4 example.

Shannon's (I think) resurrection in episode 3 sums it up relatively well, either way; the example being the difference between yanking someone out and knocking politely. The thing is, given the nature of 'white' magic... on some level, Beato would have had to truly believe in what she was doing... else it shouldn't have worked.

I was actually really concerned Ryu07 was going to ditch the white magic theme altogether... but... that's a different thread. I'm still hopeful 'true' witch is the direction Beato's character goes eventually, either way.