View Single Post
Old 2006-12-12, 23:27   Link #765
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Ever since popularity came into play, obviously.
Er, yeah well, I have no intention to talk about that, so no more argument there.

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many people do that. I even read some angry mails from people that their favorite magazine became useless because they removed the scores from their reviews.

Generally on haeleth's message board, when you want to talk about a game, one of the first responses you'll get is either
"Score of [high number] on erogamescape. Looks good."
or
"Score of [lower number] on erogamescape. Eh, don't think it's that good."
I don't really care about what other people think about scores. The ratings and comments on Erogamescape are personal feedbacks and insights from people who have played the game, nothing more, and nothing less. I will admit that positive comments on Erogamescape is an incentive for me to check out a game, and if I liked what I see from the official site contents (trial version, for example), I buy the full game, and pass on my own judgements after completing it myself.

There's a difference between "it looks good" and "it is good". There's nothing wrong with saying a game "looks good" if you liked what you saw after learning more about the game + good scores from Erogamescape. And even if some people are basing their impressions entirely on scores from a review site, that's still their choice, the best you can do is say "maybe you should try out the game yourself before saying that". Arguing with them and saying "don't trust scores so blindly you idiot" won't get you anywhere.

Quote:
Well, we're not spoiled. And just because another game is superior doesn't mean the lesser game is suddenly "ordinary" or "average". Twisted logic.
That's true, although not everyone thinks that way. Those "ordinary" or "average" ratings are purely subjective. To the English community, the translated games may be refreshing and great, but for the Japanese community, those games may just be a part of a big crowd of similar, "seen-it-done-that" games (hence bad scores on review sites).
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote