View Single Post
Old 2012-03-10, 11:30   Link #315
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished watching Welcome to the NHK, and this is the first time i found an animated series so much... serious. Perhaps serious isn't the most fitting word here, but i just felt as it dealt with real life more than any other title out there. It focused on the story of this unlucky depressed protagonist, but without making the whole series too much heavy to bear or depressing. It exposed real life problems, it dealt with suicide more than once, yet i didn't find it depressing like Kimi ga nozomu eien, or Ef: a tale of memories. I'm not experienced in this field, so i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy this series so much, but i really loved it.

I would like to comment much more on this anime, but i'd probably be saying wrong things, because once again i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy it this much. Probably it was the comedy factor here and there, or the protagonist's situation that makes you sympathize with, or that awesome music background (classic guitar/harmonica), which was relaxing. The fact that it had a serious animation could also be, since i prefer animes with an artwork that is close to reality (Steins;Gate, Arakawa under the bridge, Haruhi suzumiya), or it could also be the message it delivered, or how it meticulously portrayed an ikkikomori's situation. It looks like i prefer psychological animes. Also, just so you know: there was no kiss whatsoever, but the romance in it for me was enough, and i didn't care really much about the whole "kiss scene" issue. I was just fine. But it could also be because the anime itself was overall awesome. It has become one of my favorites straight away. Any anime is okay, as long as it has some undergoing relationships like in here. I was fine from the first time i saw Misaki, and up to the end. That little tension, is really ok.

I didn't want to comment, yet i ended up writing so many lines. This series was really good, and i loved it. Tonight i'll think of starting Mirai Nikki; at the moment i'm sated.

EDIT
Just discovered there was a manga version of this series: does the manga go beyond what the anime tells? What about the romance itself? Does the story go beyond what the anime showed?

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-03-10 at 11:53.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote