View Single Post
Old 2012-03-10, 13:40   Link #319
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Finished watching Welcome to the NHK, and this is the first time i found an animated series so much... serious. Perhaps serious isn't the most fitting word here, but i just felt as it dealt with real life more than any other title out there. It focused on the story of this unlucky depressed protagonist, but without making the whole series too much heavy to bear or depressing. It exposed real life problems, it dealt with suicide more than once, yet i didn't find it depressing like Kimi ga nozomu eien, or Ef: a tale of memories. I'm not experienced in this field, so i don't really know what it is that made me enjoy this series so much, but i really loved it.
Maybe because Welcome to the NHK is a black comedy romance (like I said before). I think the following will help you understand more about black comedy. Here’s a description of black/dark comedy from Wiki:
Spoiler for Black/Dark Comedy description:

EDIT: Welcome to the NHK began as a novel then adapted into manga then later into anime. Each adaptation is quite different from each other in terms of themes and characterization. So, you can't exactly found the continuation of the anime in the other media. Still, the novel and the manga are worth a shot.