Thread: Crunchyroll Yuri!!! on Ice
View Single Post
Old 2016-11-18, 20:28   Link #273
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
Normally, I would say let us agree to disagree.
But emotionally, this time, I feel I am unable to do that.
To me, what happened here definitely crossed the line.
Fair enough. I just take it as entertainment, not as anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
This anime is a sports show, not a love story. Not to say a sports cannot have a love story worked into a sport show, but we need to get out focus and priorities right.
Which is why your other point above is agreeable. Yuuri and Vik's relationship is used to further developed them in their career. It has a purpose in the story, not because the staffs are dreaming about the cute boys.
Yup. That's my interpretation at least.

Quote:
By that same token, the homophbia of the figure skating should not be magically skipped over. This is a part of the sport as well. If you don't like the word fujo mind, then I shall use the word shoujo mind then. Relationship without consequences is only a thing of fantasy either way. Especially so when the said consequence is coming from the sports they play.
Oh wait, in shoujo manga, consequences of relationship is actually commonly portrayed. So this makes the staffs worse than your average shoujo writers!
Ehh, that reaaaaally depends of the shoujo. I feel this one is more similar to the fluffy and lightheartened shoujo stories. Because the tone is overall, aside of some kind of skating drama/anxiety, is fairly undramatic? It's funny and heart-warming. That's what is trying to convey: it's not something melodramatic or angsty. That's why Viktor isn't some asshole dominant guy and Yuuri a victim of domestic abuse with a heart of gold (which is also copied on BL for the whole uke/seme stereotypical dynamics). I feel it's a story about some kind of plucky heroine who finally meets her mysterious ex-playboy idol/senpai and is doing what she loves with his guidance to triumph.

Except Yuuri happens to be a guy. But you know which type I'm talking about, I'm sure. Which fits more on the sports medium dynamics.

Quote:
I should say, this really not about relationship or melodrama at this point. But about the accurate depiction of the sport.

P.S. List of things I can't stand in sports manga/anime
1. Creating or removing the rules just so a character can have an impossible win.
2. Everyone magically not having the common sense of the said sports (YoI and homphobia fells in here).
3. Characters being super human and doing completely ridiculous stuff (reason why sports manga almost disappeared entirely from my reading repertoire).
I can understand that, but they were aiming for this to be a lighthearted story, IMO. They are more interested portraying the sport and program than the environment which would be far more unfriendly. There's like no rivalities for real besides the Yuris and that's just one sided butthurt. Everyone seems to love everyone because it's kind of that Card Captor Sakura-like feel.

Personally, I like it. Yuri on Ice isn't a show about some skater feeling the backslash of his homosexual attraction, but about a skater who choked in his big moment, became depressed and was put back into shape by his idol who came to train him. And the relationship between those two would make his potential emerge. Any extra drama would divert from the original core of the story they wanted to tell, you know?

Quote:
No, you don't reference a real life skater who had been met with homophobia with a sex god who is not going to face any backlashes with rest of the world drooling behind him just because. And even if Vik's naming is not intentional, it is still terribly inconsiderate and inappropriate.
IIRC, Viktor was based on John Cameron Mitchell, not on Johnny Weir's husband. I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence his husband is called Victor (because the real story of naming him Viktor is because it means, well, victory, which defines his character?). They just used Johnny's costumes as inspiration for some of Viktor's clothes in his youth and that's it. Incidentally, John Cameron Mitchell is gay too. He came out in the 90s in public. Anyway, they are just models for designs. Nothing else. Yurio's model in real life is a female skater. It's not like they just get anything but superficial design inspirations.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-11-18 at 20:43. Reason: found the actor's name!
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote