Thread: Crunchyroll Yuri!!! on Ice
View Single Post
Old 2016-11-19, 01:36   Link #277
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
In short, if you consider a sport show is inappropriate & inconsiderate for disregarding some IRL sport issues then there won't be much sport shows left that you can consider “appropriate”, even the very good, excellent and classic ones.
I can only say thank you for reciting the reasons why I do not like Hikaru no Go at all.
And I think I also mentioned why most sport manga is no longer a apart for my reading anymore.
But I do understand your point. This is more about me emotionally not comfortable about it, rather than can't understand it rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
- The Thai skater Phichit chose his program's music from the movie King and the Skater, which is definitely a homage to the movie The King and I in the real world, and said movie was banned in Thailand due to Thai criticism of the movie to be offensive to their monarchy (in particular its representation of King Mongkut of Siam). This means that in YoI world the Thai actually moved past their prejudice and actually appreciated the movie, and even have their representative skating to its music.
And I am the most glad that someone brought this up. This is something I have been debating inside myself too! And I had my moment of "...." after I found out about the detail about that music.
But ultimately it bothered me less as it didn't affect the sport itself.
Though, there is a part of me wishing the staffs could have worked the determination of using a controversial piece into Phicit's performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
IIRC, Viktor was based on John Cameron Mitchell, not on Johnny Weir's husband. I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence his husband is called Victor (because the real story of naming him Viktor is because it means, well, victory, which defines his character?). They just used Johnny's costumes as inspiration for some of Viktor's clothes in his youth and that's it. Incidentally, John Cameron Mitchell is gay too. He came out in the 90s in public. Anyway, they are just models for designs. Nothing else. Yurio's model in real life is a female skater. It's not like they just get anything but superficial design inspirations.
Yes, I am aware Viktor's name is not intentional. But you can't deny a message has been delivered even if they don't intended too. And not just negative messages that I have been receiving.
I even heard there are Weir fans took the message too positively and praising the episode beyond its content.
That's what I mean the staff weren't being considerate.

Though I guess I did not present my point clear as well.
I am not asking the anime to become some intense discussion of homophobia and some perfect replication of harsh reality.
I just don't want the common sense to mysteriously disappear into thin air. Just a reasonable mention of that dark side of the skating world would be enough.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote