Thread: Crunchyroll Yuri!!! on Ice
View Single Post
Old 2016-11-19, 04:23   Link #278
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
I just don't want the common sense to mysteriously disappear into thin air. Just a reasonable mention of that dark side of the skating world would be enough.
Have you considered there's no 'dark side' here? At least not the one you're used to. Bringing up the Instagram picture again, it's not just the amused reaction and comments he received. But the fact that Yuuri wasn't afraid of homophobia backslash because it was uploaded, he was afraid he would mess up in his short program and that picture would give him backslash for "playing around" the night before. There is pressure, it seems, but it is because of their performances rather than their private lives. There is again an attempt to push him to set Viktor ree and make him return to ice skating. Once again, the pressure is on how they do as ice skaters, not their personal lives. Yuuri hogging Viktor's attention and depriving the world of his talent is what is deviant and Yuuri's accepted he'll be hated. Their relationship, as skater and coach, is still bringing tension because people would not accept Yuuri took Viktor away.

It's obviously an Alternate Reality to some degree with the Thailand difference of how open and accepting they are of a homoerotic version of the King and I (Skating one too!). You shouldn't assume a fictional world is a copy/paste of the real world. Why would they want to invest into a dark side of the sport in this sense when in their version of reality this doesn't exist or is unimportant. And anyway, any homophobia drama would get in the way of the plot and Yuuri's character progression (Viktor's too). There's simply no time to address it in a satisfactory way, and it would look completely shoehorned and out of touch with the show lighthearted tone. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it in another show, in this one, it'll just look forced.

While I understand your gripes, I don't think this is a good show to address any "dark side" in this angle, that's why they did away with all the dark sides on purpose. Anyway, I think the homophobia drama would just be distracting and unnecessary, because it risks reducing the characters' struggle with flaws, dreams and hopes to make a huge deal about potential orientations rather than focus on the realization of their development and plenitude as athletes which is what the show is about. This show is about a sport, specifically about someone who loves ice skating. If you derail it with homophobic drama in the ice skating community, it will get off the rails because if you bring that up, it can't simply be dismissed in an episode or two. It'll make more focus on the nature of the relationship which is secondary to the purpose of the relationship (to make them mature as athletes/coach).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-11-19 at 04:45.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote