View Single Post
Old 2012-10-03, 17:19   Link #148
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
In Anime or Manga, when ever a girl hits a guy its ''Comedy''
But when its reversed a guy hits a girl its ''abuse and he's a douche''

There was always quite a lot of complaints when ever a Male MC Hits a girl even when the bloody deserve it.
I think this isn't just because of gender, but because of the surrounding context.

You may see situations in anime where a girl character (usually someone close to a male character) says or does something really crazy or uncouth, and the male character gives them a straight chop to the head, which is sort of like "snap out of it!". This could also be shown as the male character grabbing their cheeks and stretching them out. These are sort of recognized comedic reactions and rarely provoke any controversy.

On the other hand, you have the stereotypical "Naru punch" style reaction, where the guy does something perverted or somehow threatens the maiden's purity (whether intentionally or not), and the girl's reaction is to give him an exaggerated comedic punch (usually while screaming either "Ecchi!" or "Hentai!"). This too is a sort of recognized comedic reaction that's supposed to be seen as quid-pro-quo (the guy character gets a view he shouldn't, but in exchange he gets "hurt" (but recovers immediately next scene), so the status quo is preserved). Some people have a problem with this trope, but again it's a recognized comedic reaction.

Reaction to any other sort of violence depends on the context, but any time when there's a perception of a position of power, a person in power (physically) hitting a person with less power (physically) is usually intended to be portrayed in a negative light. Whether someone "deserved it" is always debatable.

Anyway, in this show's case... I think people are a bit quick to judge, but it's to be expected because pitching a female character as a "pet" to be cared for by a guy has some historical baggage. But I think people need to look deeper than that. First, Mashiro is being pitched as a sort of idiot savant, so her failings in a social context are offset in another area. Second, in the end, I suspect our male protagonist will actually be the real "pet" in this series, being led around by the other characters largely against his will (at least at first). I think her being "pet-like" is more of a pretext than an actual proclamation, and they will support each other in the end. But, of course, time will tell -- most of all, people need to wait and see.