Old 2017-03-20, 18:41   Link #388
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
It's like what, three years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
It's not that big of a difference. She's just entered her third year of junior high and he's entering his second year of high school. She's going to be turning fifteen at some point in the near future and he's just turned eighteen. It's not such a big difference really.
At that age, it looks like a lot to me. If not for Rei's blank year, he'd be out of high school by the time she got into it. And it's exacerbated by the fact that, as someone earning a living and living on his own, he's practically an adult, while Hina can be pretty childish.

Quote:
They may not care about shogi, but I'm pretty sure they care a lot about TV, and probably a few care about the maturity of a guy living on his own and paying for his own stuff. To some high school students, simply having regularly appeared on TV makes a person a "star", so he'd have at least a few people looking up to him for that. At the very least, he'd have a gap bonus since they thought he was an otaku who flunked because he spends all his time at home playing games when he should be studying, and they'd be finding out that actually he's a working man who's decided what he's doing with his life and already made great success in his chosen field, and he came close to flunking because it's not easy to have a career and go to school at the same time. This would be somewhat impressive to them if that's what they knew at the start, but to find out that they were completely wrong about him adds some extra power to the realization simply by the contrast.
My point was that not many people would know his situation at all since he's decided to be discreet. Hayashida and Takahashi happened to know because they have an interest in pro-shogi, but it's perfectly reasonable that none of his classmates do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
When I talk about Rei and Hina, I don't mean right now. What I've said is that if I was in the grandfather's shoes, I'd be sizing up Rei's potential as Hina's future husband. Later. Down the road. When they're adults. At a stage where the age difference between them would be a total non-issue.
I... don't really see how to dissociate Hina's romantic future from what happens "right now". Sure, if you're considering some kind of marriage of reason, it's fine to hold that kind of reasoning. But if I was Hina's grandfather, I really don't think I'd be able to think "oh, hey, that's a good boy, they should start dating in a few years".
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote