Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-18, 17:51   Link #21506
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Well now, that's not quite was I was getting at. It's true, Dems do oppose Repubs on many occasions, but I swear half the time, it feels like they're in a mad dash to capitulate to whatever the GOP demands on policy, agreeing to abandon any issue in hopes that some pre-emptive "compromise" will make the GOP more likely to work with them. Hint: it does not.

And it's pretty much a one way street in recent years. But if someone has some examples of Republicans foregoing pieces of their platform on numerous occasions in order to try to "appease" the opposition, I'd be very curious to see. Although this might not be the thread for it...
Republican politicians are pressured by Tea Party to not compromise on anything. Many "moderate" (read: vote with Democrats 1 out of 100 times) Republicans are unseated by Tea Party favorites. There is nothing similar on the Democrats side. It still keeps a far broader spectrum ranging from far left to centrist. There is no denying that Republicans are far less compromising when they try to work out an agreement.

But that's really democracy at work. People that vote have a bigger say. Republicans turn to far right because they know the votes come from there during the primaries. They don't compromise because they will be voted out otherwise. They are just doing what their supporters want them to do.