View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 21:37   Link #1065
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Cat-Sama View Post
when the Zanpaktou spirits left the blade, the whole swords lost their abilities. They were just objects. So, theoretically, it should be impossible to STEAL one aspect of the spirit dwelling within the swords.
IIRC, the shinigami were still able to at least use shikai after regaining a bit of resolve. They didn't need to regain dominance over their respective zanpakuto spirits before they could start using some of their zanpakuto's abilities once more. However, they did need to regain control over the spirit before they could use bankai again. So in that sense, the situations are still somewhat similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
Huh. I just thought they were ripping the abilities straight from the zanpakuto. It's like Ichigo getting his fullbring stolen by Ginjou, the power was just ripped out of his body, his soul wasn't taken.
I interpreted Rukia's comments a little differently during that arc. That's to say, while the entirety of Ichigo's soul wasn't taken, a portion of it probably was since these spiritual based abilities are all born from and are powered by the soul. So since she stated that what Ginjou stole was merely "the top layer" of Ichigo's power--The layer that had merged with his fullbring--it got me to start thinking of all this from a slightly different perspective. So thanks for bringing this up.

If Ichigo's "power" is tantamount to Ichigo's "soul" and a specific part of his abilities were attached to a specific layer of his soul, then perhaps these Quincy's have used a similar basis of knowledge to develop their bankai stealing method.

Consider this. We can at least all agree on the notion that a zanpakuto's abilities are born from and are connected to the soul of the shinigami. So with that said, what if we entertained the thought of all the key aspects that produce a shinigami's power being composed in layers within the soul? Would it really be so unbelievable within the context of this universe for a method to be developed which would allow for a specific layer of a soul to be extracted?
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote