View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 01:41   Link #121
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I think it's just cause it's an anticipated scene and it's apparently uncut. Really not hard to predict a deluge of 10's considering this show doesn't really attract a very critical crowd for the most part. Haven't seen a thread like this in a while though to be honest, but just in general I never really pay attention to ratings that aren't by people I know don't just hand them out like they're business cards.

Anyway I saw it cause I was curious and being me and all that entails I obviously don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a fanservice scene in a show with more than a few of them, it's executed as a fanservice scene, and that's really all I have to will say about it. Maybe if I wasn't so used to modern anime being filled with weird and incestuous (is it fair to say sexually deviant or will that get me in trouble? ), but yeah not exactly leaping out of my seat and ready to praise the show for this.

Unlike most people who seem stunned speechless there's actually plenty I could say about this episode and that scene in particular and it didn't really make me go WTF anymore than anything else this franchise has thrown at me during the times I've tried to entertain it, but I don't feel like getting in trouble even though I probably already am so I'll say no more.
I've made an exception in making this the first Nisemonogatari episode I've voted on myself. That vote being a 10. You should probably understand that what so many viewers/posters here are celebrating is moreso the spectacle of the event--the opportunity to be moved together and moved powerfully by a portrayal so outrageous/extraordinary it's rarely seen.

I have to give SHAFT kudos for this. While I had been spoiled forever ago about this, and while I had every expectation that it would be adapted with competency, I could not have expected that the scene would receive the dedication of an entire episode. The intensity and purity with which SHAFT brought out this exchange between Koyomi and Karen is something sure to cause eruptions across the audience and in the viewers minds. As far as I'm concerned, widespread, collective events like these which bring the viewers together are the meaning of entertainment, and I will eagerly look forward to seeing the explosive reactions to this episode translate into sales and profit.

Of course, in the end I do still also want to place the events of this episode into context as part of the greater narrative of this series. The Bakemonogatari series might occasionally divert into fanservice, but it does not mindlessly do so, at the cost of the integrity of its characters; and neither is the purpose of the narrative primarily to be a vehicle for these diversions into fanservice. There are questions of characterization we can raise from this scene, some of which I know were explicitly detailed in the light novel scripts, which certainly have the potential to enrich our understanding of the preceding events and featured characters as well as glean insight into the future.

The principle characterization questions I'm presently looking at are:

- How did Koyomi decide to engage in this toothbrush game with Karen-chan? We are (fleetingly) made to understand that the original concept/proposal arose from Kanbaru, who is either Araragi's teacher or student in the art of pervertedness. When did this idea get passed onto Koyomi, and what was the trigger for him deciding to make Karen the subject of it?
- What was the origin of Karen's curiosity towards Kanbaru, and what is her true intention in interacting with her? In particular we are suggested two possible motives for Karen's incursion upon her Nii-chan: one, to flirt with him, in her new improvised style of dress borrowed from the wardrobe of Tsukihi; and two, to put forth this genuine request to be introduced to Kanbaru Suruga. I want to know to what extent each of these objectives motivated Karen's entreaties towards Koyomi at the beginning.
- As an offshoot of the above topic, it seems to me that Karen is by present away and fully comfortable with an attraction/romantic love within herself towards Koyomi. I feel it is probably safe to say that this first awoke with Koyomi's unexplained kiss back during the Wreathe-Flame Bee incident, and that it crystallized in the aftermath of her role in the story when Koyomi said he'd take care of things. However, what I am curious to know is about any nuances in relationship Karen had towards Koyomi even before that kissing incident, as well as, at this present moment, Karen's actual thoughts towards her own feelings (i.e., now that she and Koyomi have gotten this close, does she actually intend to go anywhere with it).
- Finally, I am also interested in Koyomi's relationship with Hitagi herself. We already had him explicitly bring up a comparison with Tsubasa as an ideal "specimen"; how does Araragi understand his own attraction towards and indulgence in it towards Karen in light of his relationship with Hitagi? I myself don't particularly feel like Araragi has cheated, at least within the context of the boundaries which were set for him (i.e. playing around is okay, but don't fall in love), but I wonder what Koyomi is thinking/has rationalized about these events from his own perspective.

edit:

I just wanted to add, that Tsukihi's opening was indeed extremely wonderful and has jumped straight up my list to stand by Renai Circulation as one of this series' best openings.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote