View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 17:14   Link #90
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I think Ghibli has two core problems:

1) Miyazaki is Ghibli. Ghibli is Miyazaki. It's kind of like Apple and Steve Jobs (and look how Apple is now struggling with Jobs passed on). This is fine, even good, as long as "the big guy" is alive and contributing as well as he ever did. But at some point, you need to find someone who can effectively carry on your legacy, and unfortunately, Miyazaki doesn't appear to have been able to.
I think that Miyazaki himself is part of the problem - his recent projects just haven't been as interesting as his older ones. Other than the upcoming "The Wind is Rising" (which I know almost nothing about), I don't even have any wish to check out any Ghibli movie made in the last decade. Never mind whether those works can compare with the older ones, they haven't even been evoking any curiosity, and that's despite me having a number of Ghibli films among my favorite movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2) With 1) in mind, Ghibli is too segregated from the rest of the anime industry for its own good. Don't get me wrong - I'm not making this criticism from any sort of ideological perspective, but moreso from a simple practical one. Ghibli probably has a hard time finding fresh talent because it cuts itself off from much of the talent out there that's interested in the world of anime. I can certainly understand and respect Ghibli wanting to "stay classy", high-brow, and family-friendly, because those have become some of the core defining strengths of Ghibli and its brand. But as KyoAni has shown, you can do that without totally rejecting the rest of the anime world.
This seems to me to be a non-issue. Hosoda distances himself almost as much from the otaku anime industry (so to speak), and his films have been pretty good. "Wolf Children" looks to be a very entertaining film, for example. It's not as if either company is adverse to working with creative staff (animators, directors, etc.) who work on otaku anime, which is really what matters.

In any case, Hosoda and Studio Chizu seems to be a much better point of comparison than Kyoto Animation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I do agree that Studio Ghibli will have an issue in the future after Miyazaki & Takahata passes on. Yes there are other people who work on films there but no one has truly taken their place. Perhaps that will only happen when Miyazaki & Takahata truly do stop making movies and the studio can step away from their shadows.
Goro will still be around to save the day?