Thread: Avatar
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-25, 02:46   Link #289
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I see no problem.

If you ever worked oversease from your native country, you might understand.
I did not care that Sully made the decision; rather I was critiquing the fact that he had no reason not to make the decision.

By having the character start out as a emotionally and physically broken individual, Cameron, more or less, made the decision for Sully by the first time he "set foot" in his avatar. If a story starts with a character already having lost everything (including their body) and then being offered everything (especially a new body), then the emotional impact of the decision of choosing the offered prize is not as relevant or "deep" as it could have been (unless you take a negative route ala The Devil and Daniel Webster, in which case a downtrodden individual begins to regret the decision they made in their moment of weakness). Rather, the story would have been far more dramatic, even meaningful, if Sully wasn't so destroyed when he first arrived on Pandora - a fully functioning, albeit emotionally damaged, soldier deciding to become an "alien" and betray his home is a far more interesting story...which is probably why Dances with Wolves won the Best Picture Oscar .

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-25 at 03:18.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote