View Single Post
Old 2013-09-22, 09:44   Link #248
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now... how many characters in HSI were you able to take seriously, Archon?

Now, you might be thinking "I couldn't take most of them seriously because they were lame!" Which is a fair point. But why did some of them come across as lame? I'd say part of it was how very melodramatic they were.

Enishi, Jiromaru, and Takako were probably the three HSI characters that made viewers facepalm the most. What do they have in common? Loud, flashy, very emotional, eccentric. Consider some of the cheesy dialogue between Enishi and Takako in some of their scenes together. Consider Takako's dramatized English. Consider Jiromaru's suicide attempt in Episode 3.

Now, I'm not saying that HSI is bad. Ohana's best moments were often melodrama done well, imo. "Fest it up!" and "Sparkling!" will always have a place in my heart thanks to Ohana. But let's face it, most of the HSI characters were total hams, and not all of them made it work as well as Ohana did.
In my opinion, something is melodramatic if the story itself is giving more drama to a situation than is believable. In that regards, Hanasaku Iroha was rarely, if all, melodramatic. The characters themselves may have been melodramatic, but the story always made is clear that they were being overly dramatic. The story hardly ever presented their overly dramatic displays as appropriate. It often poked fun at them for it even. I can't possibly consider that actual melodrama. That's like saying a comedy is drama just because the characters are over dramatic.

In contrast I'd say True Tears was almost ridiculously melodramatic what with the motorcycle incidents, incest angsting, nearly sacrificing chickens to Poseidon and making a bad break up seem like the penultimate event of your life. True Tears is definitely melodramatic (Note: I don't consider that bad either. I'm just saying)

Last edited by Haak; 2013-09-22 at 09:59.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote